A purée of fermented beans full of rich umami flavour.
Similar to a Japanese miso but made with British-grown fava beans, our fermented Fava Bean Umami Paste is packed with deep rich umami flavour with subtle notes of sherry.
Awarded two stars in the 2019 and 2018 Great Taste Awards, here are a few of the judges' comments:
- "We love the umami depth of flavour, its complexity and persistence."
- "Deep, satisfying umami flavours that burst with fizzy fermentation, complex soy like flavour with a natural sweetness that is really harmonious and delicious."
- "A fabulously aromatic miso paste, how brilliant that this is made from British-grown fava beans."
- "Brilliant in a variety of dishes and genuinely versatile."
- "A brilliant fridge staple."
Complete Product Details
Adds to stirfries, stews, soups, dressings, stocks and more for umami depth and fruity, sherry flavour. We’ve even been spreading it on toast!
Add about half a teaspoon per serving to almost any dish for added depth of flavour.
Keep refrigerated and use within 4 weeks of opening.
Fava Beans, Water, Salt, Live Cultures*
*Lactobacillus delbrueckii, Aspergillus sojae, Zygosaccharomyces rouxii
|of which saturates
|of which sugars
Our Fava Umami Paste is fermented in the same way as many soya bean ferments used for miso, black beans, soy sauce or tamari, but using fava beans instead of soy beans. It's made with just fava beans, water and salt, fermented with a live culture of Lactobacillus delbrueckii, Aspergillus sojae and Zygosaccharomyces rouxii.
Suitable for vegans.
Now packed in recyclable glass jar with metal lid.